Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Searching for pushpins..

Before I forget, I turned off the members only comments (sorry about that). You can now comment without the need of a blogger account. Today's work was mostly drawing, and one of the things I latched onto were these pushpins (note that the low res photos are a great deal darker than the images are in person). Somehow, in the process of drawing these, the answer to one of my questions came along and slapped me in the face. For the past year I've been cataloguing my work and wondering what it is about certain subjects I enjoy more than others. I know what subjects I don't especially enjoy, subjects pertaining to politics, or subjects that comment about the society we live in. For the most part I really don't care about either of those things. The world is what it is (irritating), so whatever. :P Other subjects I'll latch onto with a passion.. subjects that I select before I stop to consider why I'm drawn to them. Why do I HAVE to paint or draw this? Why? In Portrait of a Cat I depicted a playful subject with an underlying melancholy. The charcoal drawing "Roaming" was also a similar fascination, and so are these pushpins.. a playful subject that is also a bit threatening. I like that. I like for my work to be playful, and, perhaps, to also have a little bit of an edge to it. Almost like a fable that's told to entertain, but is also meant to be a warning. Or the hero in a book who is not all that good. For there to be light, there must be dark. I like that a lot; it's interesting and I'm inspired. I want to see what else I can find that's like that. Expect more work from me later this week.

No comments: